First things first - check out my awesome assortment of cupcake liners that came today!
I ordered them from Bake it Pretty last week along with some pearlized white jimmies, so of course I had to make something to put in them right away.
Black Bottom Cupcakes
These were so good that I got 5 text messages from John describing their deliciousness. Makes 12 cupcakes.
8 oz (1 package) cream cheese, room temp
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 large egg white
1 tbsp sour cream
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup water, room temp
6 tbsp sour cream, room temp
4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position. Preheat oven to 400° F. Fill greased tray with liners, set aside.
2. For the filling: Use and electric mixer to beat together the cream cheese, sugar and salt until smooth. Add the egg white and sour cream until combined, about 30 seconds, Mix in chocolate chips and set aside.
3. For the cupcakes: Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Combine water, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla extract in a smaller bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just combined.
4. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 to 2/3 with batter. Use all the batter - these don't rise too much. Drop a rounded tablespoon of the cheesecake mixture onto the center of each cupcake.
5. Bake 18-22 minutes, until the tops begin to crack. Rotate pan halfway through baking (although I forgot this and mine turned out fine). Let cool 5-10 minutes in pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
They may not look like much but damn, they are irresistible!!